One of my favorite teachers was Ms. Sullivan, who taught sixth grade. She had a love of history, and Egypt in particular. She worked three jobs, including that of a parochial school teacher, a cashier at Aldi's, and a tutor. Finally, she saved enough to go on the trip of a lifetime to Egypt.
During summer break she spent 2 months in Egypt, working with an Egyptologist on a field study.
When I was in her class, I was mesmerized by her stories of Egyptian mythology. She wove the stories so skillfully, quelling even the rowdiest kids. Somehow, she was able to to make history fun. One of my favorite memories was an art project we had of writing our names in hieroglyphics on banners we hung on our desks.
When I thought about creating a vision board, one recurrent theme that came to mind of a trip that I have since dreamed of, a trip to Egypt. One day I would love to visit the country that my sixth grade teacher had described so eloquently.
To create my project, I used an Elmer Tri-Fold Display Board, gold glitter, construction paper, scissors, glue, a pen, and a ruler.
To create the pyramids, I traced triangle shapes onto construction paper, using a triangle stencil.
I traced triangle shapes into an octogon, which I then would fold into the pyramids.
Once I folded the pyramids, I added shading with brown marker, and made palm trees out of construction paper.
Then, I used the Tri Fold Board as the background, folding it.
Afterwards, I pasted tan construction paper on the base of the board as the "sand". Then I added blue paper to the part of the board that was folded up as the bakground. I placed the pyramids on the board, and added the "river" with blue construction paper.
Lastly, I added glitter to add dimension to the sand. And Voila! My Egyptian Fantasy.
Wednesday, January 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I, too, dream of Egypt. At least you have something to look at. I'll just use my dreams. LOL. Good luck.
ReplyDeleteThat looks awesome! SO much depth! Good luck :)
ReplyDelete